A few months ago I was inspired by a project on Heather Bullard's blog about making a hand soap dispenser out of a canning jar. I've been on the lookout for a blue jar with a zinc lid like hers, but haven't come across anything of the sort. Please stop by Heather's blog - you'll love it! Please don't compare my soap dispenser with her's - there's really no comparison - her's rocks!
Since necessity is the mother of invention, I had to go ahead with the project this week - even without the zinc lidded blue jar. Sigh. . .
Let me set the stage for ya. I was cooking dinner with my 7 month old grandson sitting in the high chair in the kitchen. The 3 year old grandson is playing in the sprinkler with Papa (Hubs). I go to wash my hands at the kitchen sink and I'm out of liquid soap. I look under the sink and realize the refill bottle is gone. (what happens under the sink when we're not looking? ) I get the baby out of the highchair and trudge upstairs to get some soap from under the bathroom sink. The only thing I can find is a bottle of foaming soap in it's own dispenser that I had gotten as a teacher gift. I don't like to use the dispensers that advertise the store they came from if ya know what I mean. I grabbed the bottle and went downstairs.
I just couldn't put the bottle, as is, on the sink. I had to "fix" it. Then I remembered Heather's idea. So I grabbed an empty canning jar from the cabinet, an empty milk jug from the recycling bin, and a pair of scissors from the drawer.
First, I traced the lid of the canning jar onto the side of the milk jug. Then I cut it out. I'm sorry I don't have pics for you - remember, there's a 7 month old in this story.
I removed the pump from the soap dispenser and trimmed it down to fit the shorter canning jar. Then I cut a whole in the center of the new lid (from the milk carton) making it just big enough for the pump to slide onto.
Next, I slid the pump onto the new lid, filled the jar with the new soap, and screwed everything together with the screw band from the jar. Then I gave it a try and it worked!