How did your dining room function for you for the Thanksgiving holiday?
Does it need to be organized before Christmas?
For the month of December we'll check out how to organize and spruce up the dining room.
This week we'll do some brain storming about the purpose of the room
Next week we'll get our hands dirty with purging and rearranging.
The following week we'll look at storage solutions.
Our last week will cover decorating and inspirational ideas.
So, let's do some brainstorming by asking some questions. . .
1. Is this room used daily or occasionally?
2. How many people use the room?
3. What activities take place in this room? (eating, homework, crafts, home office?)
4. What items need to be stored in this room? (dishes, linens, school/office supplies?)
5. How well does the lighting function? Does extra lighting need to be added?
6. Does the room need to be painted?
7. How well does the flooring function? Does it need to be cleaned or repaired?
8. How about the window treatments? Do they need to be changed out to allow more light in or do you need to add a light blocking option to make the room more comfortable?
9. How does the room flow? Would the room function better if some of the furniture was removed or rearranged?
So, get in your dining room and check it out with a discerning eye. Pretend like you're walking into someone else's home. How do you feel in the room? A little too cozy? A little too cold and sterile? Next week we'll roll up our sleeves and get to work.