Outdoor cushions don't last forever.
Especially when your cat's use them as scratching posts.
I knew I needed to do something so I shopped around and found. . . nothing.
Most of the cushions I found were either too expensive, too ugly, or both.
I went to the fabric store and priced outdoor fabric and cushion foam. It was still pricey.
Finally, I got a break.
Hancock Fabrics had a sale on their exterior fabric. At only $5.00 a yard so I bought several yards.
Then, I went to Garden Ridge where they had their ugliest cushions on clearance for $10.00.
They only had three left so I bought all three.
Problem was, the cushions were too short to look good on most of my benches.
Here's how I solved the problem.
My fabric was the perfect width for my benches. I cut the foam from the old green cushion into pieces wide enough to make up for the short purchased cushion. I snugged them up together, laying them out on the fabric, and cut the fabric to size.
With right sides of the fabric facing each other, I sewed all around the edges, leaving a gap in the middle of the long side (the other long side doesn't have a seam as I cut the fabric on the fold).
(don't mind my foot in the pic - at least it was a good pedicure day)
I folded each corner and sewed an inch down from each tip to form a boxed corner.
Then, I cut the extra fabric to make a neat corner.
The boxed corners fit the cushions better.
I stuffed the cushions into the new cover and sewed the opening closed on the machine.
After making covers for my three cushions, I had a smidge of fabric left over. I cut it into 3 equal pieces and sewed them together.
I sewed another piece of fabric I already had onto the back to make a pillow.
I stuffed it with polyfill and sewed it closed.
I'm pleased with my inexpensive covers.
Here's one on the front porch.
Each cushion took 1 yard of fabric to make (the fabric is decorator width). I went back to the fabric store and bought 4 more yards of fabric. I'm waiting for more cushions to go on clearance. When they do, I'll be ready.
I'm linking up to: