Skip to main content

A Trick To Clean Really Dirty Cookie Sheets

I tried to think of a fun way to title this post, but I kept coming back to the idea of just stating the facts. 

A Trick To Clean Really Dirty Cookie Sheets.

I guess I have to humble myself and show you what I mess I had on my hands.


I'm so embarrassed.

   It all started around the holidays.  Several heavy baking days without scouring them caused a build up
 of. . . I'm not sure what.

My little green scrubby just couldn't handle the job. 

I've been using parchment paper in the mean time so that I'm not cooking on the surface.  I decided that it was time to pull out the big guns. . . yes, my bottle of ammonia and a kitchen garbage bag.  I was waiting for a warm, sunny day to make this trick most effective.


The process is pretty simple.  You put your cookie sheets into the bag, pour 1/2 cup or more into the bag and seal it shut.



Let it sit all day in the sun. 

In late afternoon, carefully open the bag (don't breath in the fumes) and take out the pans.  The ammonia will have softened the grease.  Scrub with a steel wool pad and all of the gunk will come off - even in the corners.  You can use plain steel wool or a Brillo pad.

(yes, they are the same pans - and the backs look great too!)


Hubs had to help me finish the last one as my arms were getting tired, but it only took 10 minutes to scrub all three pans. 

You can also do this trick with glass pans.  I inherited an old glass loaf pan from Hub's Nana.  It was discolored from years of use.  After cleaning off the grime, I discovered it was a beautifully etched glass pan. 

Rules:
1.  Don't breath in ammonia - it's pretty stinky and strong (and dangerous)
2.  Please keep out of the reach of children and pets.
3.  I've only used this on glass and stainless steel.  I've heard it will discolor other metals.  You should probably test a small area first to make sure it won't ruin your item.
4.   To be extra safe, please wear gloves and protective eye wear.

Now that the weather is warming up enough to do "The Trick", what will you be cleaning?

Comments

  1. I thought I was the only one with these gunky cooky sheets. I am definitely going to try this. Thanks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just tried this and it worked like a charm. I tried the pinterest tip with peroxide and baking soda and it didn't touch my gunk. Thanks to you my 4 cookie sheets look brand new. Thanks for sharing this tip! Only problem now is my mom wants me to clean her 7 cookie sheets ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi - what did you do with the ammonia that was used/leftover in the kitchen garbage bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I poured the leftover ammonia down my sink and then ran cold water until there was no more smell.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  4. This works fabulously on the stove top burners!!!!! I wish I could attach a pic!! I put it in a Ziploc bag with enough ammonia to cover the bottom part and it practically melted right off!!!!!!!! No elbow grease required!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Your Own Exercise Bike For Next To Nothing

Remember back in April when I had a kidney transplant?  Well, the kidney is doing great (thanks, Cathy , for taking such good care of it when you owned it).  There was one little glitch, however.  During surgery, the retractors they used caused some nerve damage in my right leg.  When I woke up from surgery, I couldn't move or feel my leg.  The docs felt like the feeling would come back but the paralysis had them stumped.  A visit to a neurologist ruled out a stroke and a CT scan showed some fluid which was pressing on L4 and L5 (medical talk which means I couldn't feel or move part of my leg).  The prognosis is good and I'm recovering pretty quickly.  In fact, I've left my cane behind and I'm walking freestyle without falling.  My next goal is to be able to drive. I've been itching to get back to exercising (physical therapy doesn't count) because my medication causes me to gain weight and I need to burn some calories.  Running? - nope.  Walking? - can&

A Designer's Secret For A Taller Bed

  Several years ago Hubs and I spent almost a year looking for a bedroom set that we both loved.  He wanted clean lines and dark wood.  I wanted curves and a "tall" bed.  Of course, there was no perfect bedroom set but we were able to compromise on a set that we both liked.  My main wish was for a bed that I could "climb up into".  The problem with that wish was that most of the "tall" beds were four poster beds and Hubs was not in the mood for that.  We found a Thomasville bed on display at a local furniture store and it fit the clean lines that Hubs wanted and it was "tall"  enough to suit me.  The problem was that once we received the bed we ordered in our home, it wasn't as tall as I had remembered it being.  My heart sunk!  I went back to the furniture store to look at the display.  Their bed was much taller than our bed.  Hmmm. . . what was different? I got nosey and lifted up the comforter on the bed.  It revealed their secret

Plans For A DIY Exercise Bike Stand

  Thank you to so many of you who emailed me about plans for the DIY Exercise Bike Stand .  I apologize that it has taken me so long to get the measurements to you, but they are finally here!   The wood was purchased at Home Depot and the bike pegs were purchased at Walmart in the bike section.    The bike we used for this project is a 24" 12 speed bike (I'm a shorty).  I used the hardest gear while riding, but this set-up does not allow you to really get much resistance (for building muscle).  It was great for getting my legs moving after some nerve damage.  I also wanted to burn calories and get my heart rate up and this did the trick.    If you have any questions, just shoot me an email.