We all know what happens when I get bored and stuck in the house. . . yup, I cut up my clothes and make things out of them.
As I was doing laundry, I discovered a favorite shirt had an oil stain right on the front that would not come out even with special treatment and several washings. I was about to toss it out but decided to try something different.
The shirt is really chocolate brown, but shows up as this purplish blue on the computer.
First, I cut the shirt down the middle, trimmed the sleeves, and trimmed the bottom off.
Then, I hemmed the two sides of the new front openings on the sewing machine.
Next, I double hemmed the bottom so it wouldn't curl up. I'm not terribly happy with how it turned out, but it ruffled it a bit which is kind of cute.
Next up, the ruffle. I cut off the hem of the bottom of the shirt and then cut the remaining fabric into two pieces, cutting lengthwise. Then I ran each strip through the sewing machine set on the basting stitch. I pulled on one of the threads while gently "scrunching" the fabric to form the ruffle.
I pinned the ruffle to one side of the shirt (on the front) and sewed it down. It took a few minutes to get the ruffles even, but was easy to do.
I had some fabric left from the shortened sleeves so I decided to make some flowers. I cut a circle of fabric and found an old button in the button box.
I pinched the button in the center of the fabric and ran a needle and thread around the button to "hide" it in the fabric. The button forms the center of the flower.
I attached the button to the jacket by hand sewing it with just a few stitches.
Here's the finished product!
I'm linking to: