Thursday, May 19, 2011

How To Recycle A Stained Shirt Into A Jacket


We all know what happens when I get bored and stuck in the house. . . yup, I cut up my clothes and make things out of them

As I was doing laundry, I discovered a favorite shirt had an oil stain right on the front that would not come out even with special treatment and several washings.  I was about to toss it out but decided to try something different.

The shirt is really chocolate brown, but shows up as this purplish blue on the computer.


First, I cut the shirt down the middle, trimmed the sleeves, and trimmed the bottom off. 



Then, I hemmed the two sides of the new front openings on the sewing machine. 



Next, I double hemmed the bottom so it wouldn't curl up.  I'm not terribly happy with how it turned out, but it ruffled it a bit which is kind of cute.


Next up, the ruffle.  I cut off the hem of the bottom of the shirt and then cut the remaining fabric into two pieces, cutting lengthwise.  Then I ran each strip through the sewing machine set on the basting stitch.  I pulled on one of the threads while gently "scrunching" the fabric to form the ruffle.



I pinned the ruffle to one side of the shirt (on the front) and sewed it down.  It took a few minutes to get the ruffles even, but was easy to do.


I had some fabric left from the shortened sleeves so I decided to make some flowers.  I cut a circle of fabric and found an old button in the button box. 


I pinched the button in the center of the fabric and ran a needle and thread around the button to "hide" it in the fabric.  The button forms the center of the flower.


I attached the button to the jacket by hand sewing it with just a few stitches.



Here's the finished product! 


I'm linking to:
Visit thecsiproject.com












Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden


 freckled laundry

15 comments:

  1. This is Beautiful! I always love looking at your blog, it is always so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely know where Ashley gets her craftiness from!! That is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog from the CSI project! I love this sweater! I am going to try this! Thanks for the idea!

    alove2create.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is super cute! I wish I had an eye for that kind of stuff. I have no ability to look at a ruined item and see something else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really creative mom - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Great idea and execution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just lovely! The ruffles and flowers make all the difference!

    I would love if you came and linked this project to my clothes upcycling page. It has a long term linky, so your project would stay there for more than just the week of a usual linky. We have over 60 projects linked up now – some fantastic ideas – and this month I’m upcycling lots of clothes and trying to feature lots of the links too!
    Do come and take a look!
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/p/clothes-upcycling-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I really want to learn to sew! You should put this in your etsy shop for people to send you their ruined shirts and you can transform them! You are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unbelievable. I am in awe. I bow down. And to think of all the things I throw away!! I should save them and send them to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found you over at round tuit and I just had to tell you I love your cardi redo here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interestingly posted with photos which makes the post & techniques of stitching Understand very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE THIS! I have shirts with those tiny little holes in the bottom that this would work PERFECTLY for!! Thank you for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks awesome! Nice job! I love how you made the flower with a button - very smart! :)
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.