I've been wanting patriotic buntings for our home for several years. I got sticker shock when pricing them at the local stores - $20.00 per bunting. Ouch!
While perusing my favorite blogs, I discovered that Marian had done a tutorial for DIY buntings over at HGTV. So I headed over there and read the directions.
The buntings needed quite a bit of fabric because they are gathered. My idea was to hop to the thrift store and buy my favorite source of fabric - sheets. Much to my dismay, not a single red or blue sheet could be found. Burgundy - yes. Baby blue- yes. But not true blue or real red. Then I remembered that Walmart sold cheap 200 thread count flat twin size sheets for $5.00 a piece. Bingo!
I had to buy a fitted sheet in the blue because that's all they had. I already had white sheets at home (or so I thought - I actually had to cut up an old dust ruffle - but, it worked ).
After several hours, I had two pretty nice buntings. I had planned on making three and hanging them on the deck railing, but I underestimated the amount of work they would take and was happy with the two I completed. Maybe I'll make more next year. They aren't hard to make - just time consuming.
I pinned them up with thumb tacks.
If I make more, I'll do a better job at making larger pleats. I pleated them too small and they almost look like a ruffle rather than a pleat.
Check out Marian's tutorial.