Friday, June 17, 2011

How To Make Your Own Exercise Bike For Next To Nothing

Remember back in April when I had a kidney transplant?  Well, the kidney is doing great (thanks, Cathy, for taking such good care of it when you owned it).  There was one little glitch, however.  During surgery, the retractors they used caused some nerve damage in my right leg.  When I woke up from surgery, I couldn't move or feel my leg.  The docs felt like the feeling would come back but the paralysis had them stumped. 

A visit to a neurologist ruled out a stroke and a CT scan showed some fluid which was pressing on L4 and L5 (medical talk which means I couldn't feel or move part of my leg).  The prognosis is good and I'm recovering pretty quickly.  In fact, I've left my cane behind and I'm walking freestyle without falling.  My next goal is to be able to drive.

I've been itching to get back to exercising (physical therapy doesn't count) because my medication causes me to gain weight and I need to burn some calories.  Running? - nope.  Walking? - can't do it fast enough.  Rebounder? - are you kidding?  Swimming? - can't drive to the YMCA.  Biking? - Hmmm. . . my balance is off but I could ride an exercise bike.  Seems like we're fresh out of exercise bikes around here. 

No problem.  Hubs to the rescue:





He took my regular bike and made a stand for it to sit on.  I can bike on the back porch!


The only thing he had to purchase was a set of pegs to put on the back axles.  Then he placed the pegs into slots he drilled into the stand he made from scrap wood.  He's my hero!





Updated:  Want to make one of these for yourself?  Hubs put together some measurements for you.  Just click on the link to Plans For A DIY Exercise Bike Stand 


I'm linking to:


The Shabby Nest


22 comments:

  1. That's WONDERFUL!! Great idea!! XXOO, Damaris

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Hubs of yours is so terrific! Just don't go riding off that porch!

    Sheri O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is way cool. Although it's a little too late for me...I JUST bought an exercise bike a couple months ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one: Great idea and cool implementation!
    I think I'll give it a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SWEEET! I shall start making one for myself soon. I can't believe I was planning to spend $200 on an exercise bike stand from the shops.... Gotta love DIY ideas !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so amazingly simple! I love it! Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But there's no resistance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used this bike mainly to keep my legs moving and exercising after post-surgery paralysis. I eventually added some leg weights to help with muscle building, but it is a very basic exercise routine - not really for the hard core biker.

      Delete
  8. This is a great idea, well done!
    Although as an ex-pat living in the Middle East, I've tried making my own so I can bike indoors rather than face the oppressive heat, but it never really worked for me.
    Anyway, hope you're fully recovered now and enjoying the bike!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curious if the pressure from the pegs and how they sit on the wood will do damage to the bike? I bought a spendy road bike this year and would hate to ruin it but would love to ride during the winter indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is absolutely no damage to my bike, but I only weigh 120 pounds and have a regular (not fancy) bike. I would check with a bike shop to see what they think about possible damage.

      Delete
  10. YAY! I'm having hip surgery soon and my form of PT will be the exercise bike. We have a regular bike and now we'll be able to use it as a stationary. YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did you install the pegs on the bike? The bolts on mine aren't long enough to accommodate the pegs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You'll need to remove the existing axel nuts so that the pegs slide all of the way up to the bike frame. Then, use the removed axel nuts to secure the peg in place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot for sharing this information! Stationary bicycle stand can provide several benefits such as you can use it for exercising and for fast recovery to your injury. Moreover, there's no need for you to go outdoor just to do cycling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you show a picture of how the pegs attach to the axle? Did you weld a nut inside the metal tube and screw it onto the axle? Your answer shown above does not explain how the nuts secure the peg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pegs are designed to attach onto the existing bike axel by removing the axel nut, sliding the peg onto the axel, and securing in place with the original axel nut. My husband used a long socket with an extension to tighten the nut.

      Delete
  15. It is really great idea. I planned to buy a stationary stand. Now I can do it myself. So nice. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.