Skip to main content

Monday Motivation: Organizing Your Child's Room

Yes, we do have to go there.
  We're parents and it's our job to teach our children how to clean their rooms.
 
Now, lest you think I have all the answers and my children's rooms were visions of organized bliss - I have news for you - I'm a failure. 

My kid's rooms were decorated.  They were creative spaces.  They had plenty of storage.  And they were almost always a mess.  Not a mess that couldn't be cleaned up in 20 minutes but a mess that indicated that a child lived there. 

 Let me confess - I had to get used to that.

I had to get used to stepping over toys and craft supplies.  Dolls and legos.  Books and books.  And did I mention books.  We love books.  I still have our library of children's books and my children are 20, 26, and 29.  My excuse is that I'm a grandma and a preschool teacher and I need them.  

 So why, if I never got a handle on my kid's room am I telling you how to organize one?  Because it's not about how perfect the room looks.   It's about the regular process of purging "the stuff".  

Children outgrow and wear out an amazing amount of "stuff".  That "stuff" has a tendency to multiple in no time flat and then children get lost in that pile of stuff.  Other things get lost in that pile of stuff too.  Things like library books, birthday money, retainers, or the last pair of shoes that fit.

To keep the family semi-sane I'm recommending a purge-fest at least twice a year.  We always liked to do it during the summer and right before or after Christmas (before Christmas is best but can be a crazy busy time for most families).

Since summer is approaching, why not say "hey kids, wanna have some fun and clean out your rooms?".  They'll think you're the coolest parent on the block - not. 

Since this is a skill that all children really need to learn, it's time to pull up our sleeves and get to work. If at all possible, DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT YOUR CHILD.  It's their "stuff"!

 Here are the steps:
1.  Gather your supplies - black trash bags (so you can't see what's in them) for trash, boxes labeled "donate", "belongs elsewhere", "save for sibling", "keepsake", and "to be fixed".  I also like to have a piggy bank handy for found money.  

2.  Start at one side of the room and work your way around.  Pick up all clothing you find.  Remember, your child is helping you.  Don't go through the clothes yet.  Just gather into a pile that it out of the way.  You'll probably find a few other pieces as you clean and I guarantee you'll find some socks and underwear. 

3.  Now, start at one side of the room again and pick up large toys.  Sort the large toys into either a keep pile or one of the other boxes (see step 1). 

4.  Start again at one side of the room and gather all of your books.  Stack them on the book shelf for now and you'll sort them later. You're just getting them out of the way right now.

5.  By now you should be able to see the floor.  Gather up toy bins (if you use them) or whatever container your child stores their toys in.  Line them up against a wall and  begin to pick up the toys on the floor, sorting them into the containers.  Sorting is a very valuable skill and most children can do it by the time they are 2 years old.  Be sure to check for broken pieces as you sort.

7.  If your child is at a reasoning age, have them decide which toys they should keep.  Are the toys too young for them?  Are they played with regularly?  Could someone else use them more? 

8.  After all of the items are picked up, go back to the books and sort through them, asking the same questions.  Be sure to put any books that need repair into the
"to be fixed" container. (see step 1)

9.  Check behind and under furniture for any stray items.  Try not to be grossed out.

10.  Put toy containers away and straighten books.  Put larger toys back in their place.

11.  Go through clothing, making sure to sort out all clothing that is not being worn or that needs to be repaired or laundered.  Put clothing and shoes away.  Throw away the trash, add the donate box to your car to drop off at the thrift store, and put the "need to fix" container where you'll be reminded to make repairs. 

12.  Help your child make their bed. 

13. Take a look around the room and compliment your child on a purge well done.

Disclaimer:  Your influence on your child will only last so long.  Once they are independent enough to go away to college, they will have their own method of purging which usually involves dumping all of  their laundry in your laundry room during holidays and leaving most of their belongings in the back seat of their car.  Yup.  Enjoy their childhood while it lasts.

   

Comments

  1. I loved this post! You are so funny. And I am so thankful I have a playroom! Now that my two have learned how to use a laundry basket their rooms stay neat and organized, unless you count the hidden stash of books under their beds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really can't fault them for books under the bed. Do they have a flashlight as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I purge the boys' room a lot...although they're not part of the process yet because the oldest has the makings of a hoarder and nothing would leave if it were up to him LOL My trunk is full right now, waiting to be dropped at the thrift store!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Your Own Exercise Bike For Next To Nothing

Remember back in April when I had a kidney transplant?  Well, the kidney is doing great (thanks, Cathy , for taking such good care of it when you owned it).  There was one little glitch, however.  During surgery, the retractors they used caused some nerve damage in my right leg.  When I woke up from surgery, I couldn't move or feel my leg.  The docs felt like the feeling would come back but the paralysis had them stumped.  A visit to a neurologist ruled out a stroke and a CT scan showed some fluid which was pressing on L4 and L5 (medical talk which means I couldn't feel or move part of my leg).  The prognosis is good and I'm recovering pretty quickly.  In fact, I've left my cane behind and I'm walking freestyle without falling.  My next goal is to be able to drive. I've been itching to get back to exercising (physical therapy doesn't count) because my medication causes me to gain weight and I need to burn some calories.  Running? - nope.  Walking? - can&

A Designer's Secret For A Taller Bed

  Several years ago Hubs and I spent almost a year looking for a bedroom set that we both loved.  He wanted clean lines and dark wood.  I wanted curves and a "tall" bed.  Of course, there was no perfect bedroom set but we were able to compromise on a set that we both liked.  My main wish was for a bed that I could "climb up into".  The problem with that wish was that most of the "tall" beds were four poster beds and Hubs was not in the mood for that.  We found a Thomasville bed on display at a local furniture store and it fit the clean lines that Hubs wanted and it was "tall"  enough to suit me.  The problem was that once we received the bed we ordered in our home, it wasn't as tall as I had remembered it being.  My heart sunk!  I went back to the furniture store to look at the display.  Their bed was much taller than our bed.  Hmmm. . . what was different? I got nosey and lifted up the comforter on the bed.  It revealed their secret

Plans For A DIY Exercise Bike Stand

  Thank you to so many of you who emailed me about plans for the DIY Exercise Bike Stand .  I apologize that it has taken me so long to get the measurements to you, but they are finally here!   The wood was purchased at Home Depot and the bike pegs were purchased at Walmart in the bike section.    The bike we used for this project is a 24" 12 speed bike (I'm a shorty).  I used the hardest gear while riding, but this set-up does not allow you to really get much resistance (for building muscle).  It was great for getting my legs moving after some nerve damage.  I also wanted to burn calories and get my heart rate up and this did the trick.    If you have any questions, just shoot me an email.