I've had a few small projects on my "to do" list for months now and with the outdoor temps being in the 80s I decided to muster the energy to get them done. Actually, not much energy was required as they were all small projects.
Isn't it funny how the small projects all get shuffled down to the bottom of the list and seem to get forgotten?
First project: My mother-in-law's old concrete garden basket. Mom went to home to heaven in October and I'm really missing her. When I was offered the basket from her garden, I welcomed it with open arms. Unfortunately, my minds eye did not remember it as being pink. . .
Hmmm. . . not a problem. . . I have paint. First, I primed it with outdoor spray primer. Then I dabbed on a concoction of gray and cream outdoor paints that I had on hand. I tried not to be too perfect because I wanted it to look natural.
I placed it in my courtyard garden and I'm waiting for Hubs to bring me some soil to fill it up. You'll be able to see what I'm preparing to plant in it in tomorrow's post.
The next project has been on my to-do list since I moved into this house - 6 years ago. I'm ashamed. It's such a small project but I never got around to it.
The patio furniture we bought 8 years ago got a few nicks in the powder coat finish when we moved. The set came with a small bottle of touch up paint but I never got around to using it.
So, today was the day. I did several light coats instead of one heavy coat. I waited a few hours between coats. Now, I can rest, knowing my furniture is repaired.
I had a constant reminder to finish this painting project every time I opened my front door. The door and surround are fiberglass that have a wood look. After several years of house keys scratching the finish off whenever anyone unlocked the front door, it was time to fix it. I tried using the furniture stain markers on the scratches, but because it wasn't wood, the stain wouldn't take.
Enter Minwax Gel Stain. I love this stuff. It's thick - like gel. It comes in wood colors and masked the scratches beautifully. I stained/covered the whole surround so that the color would be even. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
I'm happy that I can scratch 3 things off of my list.
Now, to tackle the others. I wish they were all this easy to handle!