I'm on the road a lot. Between work, church, errands, and fun (shopping) I'm quite friendly with my car. It's my "home away from home".
I've found that it's important to have a number of items stored in the car in case of emergency, or just to make my life easier.
1. The most important item you can have with you in an emergency is your cell phone. This is your connection to help. Keep a charger in the car too.
2. 3 Hazard triangles (or flares)
3. Jumper cables - Consumer reports recommends 6 gauge rating for most cars.
4. Flashlight - check batteries every few months
5. Rope and or bungee cords for securing items
6. Duct tape
7. Bottled water - keep a bottle in the trunk for your overheated car. Bring a fresh bottle with you each time you travel for drinking.
8. Blanket - I like my waterproof, heavy duty picnic blanket. We can use it to keep dry, keep warm, or have a picnic.
9. Rain poncho
10. First aid kit
11. Wrapped snacks like nuts, granola bars, dried fruit, peanut butter crackers etc.
12. Tire pressure gauge
13. Tissue, napkins, or paper towels (for clean up on isle two)
14. Leatherman tool - It has scissors, screwdriver, tweezers, knife etc. all in one tool and folds up.
15. Notepad and pen/pencil - For jotting down notes, ideas, or (God forbid) information regarding an accident.
16. Windshield scraper
18. Make-up bag with hand lotion, mints, feminine products, brush/comb,chap stick, etc. for "just in case".
19. GPS or map - If you're like me and can't find your way out of a paper bag.
20. I've also used my AAA membership more than a few times. They've unlocked my car for me, towed my car to a service station, and changed a flat tire.
Because I always like to be prepared, I also keep my grocery shopping bags in the trunk and any coupons I might use in the glove compartment.
Can you think of anything I've missed? Please tell us about it in the comment section or shoot me an email and I'll include it in the list.