Tuesday, January 24, 2012

How To Make Clay Tags



I've been up to my eyeballs in clay lately.

Rolling and stamping.  Poking and shaping.  Baking and Sanding.

It's a bit of a process, but the the Fimo clay is very easy to work with and I've been having a great time trying out a new medium.   I bought mine at Walmart in their craft section.




We've got a lot of new mommies at our church, so I thought I needed to make some tags for gifts.  I also made some tags to use with my Etsy orders.  Little birds are always my favorites.  



To make the tags:  Knead a hunk of clay to make it softer and easier to work with.  Roll out the clay with a rolling pin.  I rolled it out on freezer paper to make it easier to pick up.  Use a rubber stamp and ink to stamp your image lightly into the clay.  Punch a hole into the top of the tag (I used the top of an old mechanical pencil - the part that hides the eraser).  Place the tag onto a cookie sheet that is lined with parchment paper.  Bake according to package directions.  After the tags are cooled, use fine sand paper or a nail file to sand any rough spots.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning! These tags are so adorable. Putting them on my list to try!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.