Skip to main content

Spring Cleaning Your Home (part 2)

Spring is in full swing. We still have more time for that Spring cleaning. In the previous blog I talked about cleaning windows and upholstered furniture. Today, we'll talk about cleaning walls and wood furniture.

Cleaning walls:

1. First, dust your walls with one of those fuzzy dusters on a long pole. If you don't have one of those, wrap an old towel, pillow case, or undershirt around a broom's bristles. Wipe the walls, starting at the top and working your way down to the bottom. You won't believe how much dust accumulates on your walls. (Don't be alarmed if you come across a few spiders)

2. Next, mix up a cleaning liquid. I use 1/4 cup ammonia with 1 gallon of water and 2-3 drops of dish detergent. If you have really greasy walls (like in the kitchen) I would mix some Greased Lightning with water and use that.

3. For stubborn spots, use a little baking soda on a sponge and rub very gently to remove crayon marks, scuff marks etc.

4. Now, working from the bottom to the top, wipe the walls with a clean microfiber cloth dipped into your cleaning solution and rung out. If you don't have a microfiber cloth, you can use old washcloths or dishcloths. I have found that sponges wear out too quickly and fall apart.

5. Finally, wipe the walls with a clean rag, dipped in clean water and wrung out. You don't need to dry the wall unless you've used too much water and it's dripping down the wall.

6. At my house, I only do the dusting step for most walls and follow with the cleaning step only on the walls in high traffic areas. That said, I do wipe my bathroom walls with cleaner every week because I live with my husband and son. (ha-ha)


Wood Furniture:

It's important to know what kind of wood finish is on your furniture before you clean it. If you purchased it new, it came with a care label. If it is a hand-me-down or family heirloom, ask the previous owner how they took care of it. If it is a valuable antique, and needs serious cleaning, please seek an antique dealer's advice.

1. First things first. Remove every item from the furniture. Don't try to clean around lamps, cushions, knick-knacks, etc.

2. If you have oiled furniture, dust with a dry cloth. Then, apply furniture oil with a seperate clean cloth.

3. If you have varnished or lacquered furniture (as most of us do) then dust it first with a soft cloth. Then, clean it with a damp cloth and a mild detergent like dishwashing detergent (just a few drops). On several of my pieces, I have refinished them with a poly finish because they get a lot of use. I simply spray with my multipurpose vinegar cleaner and wipe clean. If you want the recipe for my vinegar cleaner, see my blog called "The Sparkle Effect".

4. If you want your furniture to really shine, use an aerosol cleaner like Old English. Spray onto your clean rag, apply to the wood in a circular motion. Turn the rag over and then buff until the wood shines.

The professional organizer in me must remind you that the less clutter you have on your wood furniture, the easier this process will be and the less you will have to dust.

The next blog will be about cleaning floors and rugs.

Comments

  1. Okay, so yeah, I have NEVER washed or dusted my walls. AHEM. I think I need to take a day or five away from the computer and do some spring cleaning. Of course it doesn't feel much like spring yet, so perhaps I'll put it off for a few weeks. (Or years...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Your Own Exercise Bike For Next To Nothing

Remember back in April when I had a kidney transplant?  Well, the kidney is doing great (thanks, Cathy , for taking such good care of it when you owned it).  There was one little glitch, however.  During surgery, the retractors they used caused some nerve damage in my right leg.  When I woke up from surgery, I couldn't move or feel my leg.  The docs felt like the feeling would come back but the paralysis had them stumped.  A visit to a neurologist ruled out a stroke and a CT scan showed some fluid which was pressing on L4 and L5 (medical talk which means I couldn't feel or move part of my leg).  The prognosis is good and I'm recovering pretty quickly.  In fact, I've left my cane behind and I'm walking freestyle without falling.  My next goal is to be able to drive. I've been itching to get back to exercising (physical therapy doesn't count) because my medication causes me to gain weight and I need to burn some calories.  Running? - nope.  Walking? - can&

A Designer's Secret For A Taller Bed

  Several years ago Hubs and I spent almost a year looking for a bedroom set that we both loved.  He wanted clean lines and dark wood.  I wanted curves and a "tall" bed.  Of course, there was no perfect bedroom set but we were able to compromise on a set that we both liked.  My main wish was for a bed that I could "climb up into".  The problem with that wish was that most of the "tall" beds were four poster beds and Hubs was not in the mood for that.  We found a Thomasville bed on display at a local furniture store and it fit the clean lines that Hubs wanted and it was "tall"  enough to suit me.  The problem was that once we received the bed we ordered in our home, it wasn't as tall as I had remembered it being.  My heart sunk!  I went back to the furniture store to look at the display.  Their bed was much taller than our bed.  Hmmm. . . what was different? I got nosey and lifted up the comforter on the bed.  It revealed their secret

Plans For A DIY Exercise Bike Stand

  Thank you to so many of you who emailed me about plans for the DIY Exercise Bike Stand .  I apologize that it has taken me so long to get the measurements to you, but they are finally here!   The wood was purchased at Home Depot and the bike pegs were purchased at Walmart in the bike section.    The bike we used for this project is a 24" 12 speed bike (I'm a shorty).  I used the hardest gear while riding, but this set-up does not allow you to really get much resistance (for building muscle).  It was great for getting my legs moving after some nerve damage.  I also wanted to burn calories and get my heart rate up and this did the trick.    If you have any questions, just shoot me an email.