Monday, July 27, 2009

What to do with brown bananas



We eat a lot of bananas. But, during the summer, our bananas get brown and "speckled" pretty fast. Since I hate to waste anything, I've come up with a way to use them up. We only have 1-2 brown bananas at a time and that is not enough to make a loaf of banana bread. My solution is to freeze them until I have enough to make a batch of bread (my recipe calls for 3 bananas per loaf of bread). I freeze them in a large ziploc bag. When I've gathered enough bananas to make 4 loaves of bread, I thaw them on a drying rack over a bar pan(to catch drips). Tomorrow I'll show you how to make my healthy bread. It's great to have on hand, wrapped and stored in the freezer.

2 comments:

  1. When I use my frozen bananas, I just nuke them for a few seconds, snip off the ends, and squeeze them into the banana bread mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I let my bananas thaw on the rack because I try not to use my microwave. You're right, after thawing, the banana "guts" just slip right out of the skin.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.