Monday, August 10, 2009
Monday Motivation-tackling your medicine cabinet
This is an important chore that needs to be done regularly to keep your family safe. Today, I want you to tackle your medicine cabinet. I want to assure you that this should not take longer than 1/2 hour.
Here's how to do it:
1. Open the cabinet door.
2. Remove everything from one shelf.
3. Check the expiration dates. Throw away any item that is expired, discolored, unlabeled, unnecessary, or belongs to someone who no longer lives in the home.
4. Set what you have decided to keep into a box.
5. Follow the procedure in steps 3 and 4 for each shelf or section of your cabinet.
6. Replace the items you are keeping (from the box) according to the type of item it is. Cold meds, first aide supplies, pain reliever, etc.. I like to place like items together in a container. The dollar store is a good place to pick up small, lightweight containers.
7. Place any items you are throwing away into a plastic bag, tie it up, and throw it into the trashcan where it cannot be torn into. DO NOT flush meds down the toilet. It has been proven that this leads to pollution of our waterways. Some pharmacies will accept old medication for disposal.
This simple chore can prevent harm coming to your family by ingesting a medication that has expired or is no longer safe.