As Valentine's Day approaches we start looking for ways to tell others we love them. Of all of the things my husband has given me over the years, one reminds me daily that he loves me. No, it's not jewelry (but I do love my jewelry). It's an ugly, black, shiny binder. But inside the binder is a collection of important info that my husband has compiled.
The compiled information is everything I would need to have at my fingertips if something ever happened to him. Depressing? Macabre? Not really. Loving? Absolutely! You see, he loves me so much that he wants me to have whatever I need during what would be the worst thing that could ever happen to me.
In our binder, hubs has compiled the following things:
1. copies of our wills and where the originals are kept
2. copies of our life insurance and where the originals are kept
3. name, phone, email, address for insurance contact
4. copies of investments with contact info
5. copies of everything in our safety deposit box
6. bank account numbers with contact info
7. health insurance policies with contact info
8. auto insurance policies with contact info
9. copies of latest Social Security statements
Some other things that could be added later are:
1. copy of power of attorney
2. copy of living will
3. list of what items we would like to leave to our family members
I recommend to all of my clients that they develop this same kind of binder (or it could be a file) for their loved ones. Nothing says I love you like planning ahead for emergencies.