Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A whole lotta love for a little bit of paint

Remember my mantle decor from before? This fireplace makes me crazy because of it's size, proportion, and color. Because we use it often, I have to be very careful how I decorate it. We're not able to move the mantle down because of the vents and proximity to the firebox. Bummer!


At Christmas I hung a metal stocking over the firebox to add a bit of color.




A few weeks ago, I was frustrated (again) by the fireplace, and decided to take matters into my own hands. I grabbed a paint brush and made a custom color with odds and ends of acrylic paint. I then brushed several light coats of paint over the dark colored vents. I had to tweak the color a few times to get it right, but I feel like I matched it pretty well.



I love how it seems to brighten up the space and you don't notice the vents that much any more.


Hubs commented right away when he got home and is a bit worried about me being home alone during Spring break with the paint and paint brushes. He has no idea how many ideas are floating around in my head! What can I paint next?



2 comments:

  1. It looks great!!~ I think the possibilities are endless with paint, and a little mind that is wondering about! Glad I found your blog! I am new to blogging myself, about three months now. Looking for like minded blogs...found another one!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelly! Great job on those fireplace grates! It's amazing what a little paint can do =) Our fireplace and the grates have been white for a few months now, and I'm constantly surprised by how much it brightens up the room. Keep up the good work and thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.