Monday, July 5, 2010

Monday Motivation: Cleaning your sink

                                                                                                                                                                               photo from Southern Living




This past weekend we had the pleasure of helping our daughter and her fiance clean up a townhouse they just purchased. 

As soon as I saw the kitchen, I knew I had a date with the kitchen sink.  Oh, sure, there were walls to be painted, baseboards to scrub, and bathrooms to sanitize but I had it in for the kitchen sink.

It was the worst looking sink I had ever seen.  Apparently someone had regularly dumped coffee into the stainless steel sink and didn't bother to rinse it down.  Over a few years, the stainless steel was definitely not "stain-less".  I really thought the whole sink might have to be thrown out and replace but I decided to give it a bit of elbow grease.

First I pulled out my Cameo stainless steel cleaner.  It helped a little bit.  Then I combined the Cameo cleaner with a Mr. Clean Magic eraser and scrubbed. . . and scrubbed. . . and scrubbed. 

But all the scrubbing was worth it.  It looks so much better.

So, if you have a sink that needs a bit of attention, here are some techniques you might want to keep in mind.


For general cleaning on most sinks:  Sprinkle a small amount of baking soda into your sink.  Scrub with a damp sponge and rinse.  For stubborn stains, you can dip and cut lemon half into the baking soda and scrub with that.  To remove water spots, use a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol or vinegar. 

For Porcelain sinks:  be careful to not use scouring powders or steel wool on porcelain sinks as they will scratch the finish.  To remove rust, rub the sink with a paste of borax and lemon juice.  Rinse well.

For stainless steel:  Use a stainless steel cleaner and rinse thoroughly.  To remove rust, rub with WD-40 and rinse well.


To give your sink a nice polished look, you might want to try my lemon oil trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.