When helping clients organize their kitchens I also teach them how to clean appliances properly and, most importantly, quickly. Can openers are one of the appliances people don't clean very often because they really don't think about how dirty it gets.
Maybe you have a small electric model like this. I remember when I was a child and our dogs would go crazy whenever they heard the whirl of the can opener because that usually meant we were opening their food cans.
Or maybe you have one of these hand-held babies. They're easy to store away and don't take up much room. They're great for keeping on hand to take on picnics and camping trips.
But how do you clean them? Easy, really.
For Electric models:
1. Unplug the appliance.
2. Remove the cutting attachment.
3. In soapy water, scrub the cutting area carefully with an old toothbrush. If the attachment is really cruddy then let it soak in the soapy water for a while.
4. Rinse and let dry before reattaching to the appliance.
5. Wipe the rest of the appliance with a damp rag and dish soap, if needed.
6 Don't forget to wipe down the cord too.
For Manual models:
1. In soapy water, scrub the cutting area carefully with an old toothbrush.
2. Rinse and let dry well. Don't store away until completely dry.
Now, I know you'll sleep better knowing your can openers are clean.