Skip to main content

Monday Motivation: Keeping the peace


I love the sound of my husband's voice, the screen porch closing, my grandson's giggles, my chicken's clucking, and the sound of the gravel drive when visitor's arrive.  All of these things make me stop and smile. 

On the other hand, I don't like the sound of blaring television, ringing phones, loud voices, scraping drawers, or squeaky doors.  All of these things make me cringe.

Because I can be somewhat sensitive to sounds, I try to avoid harsh ones whenever possible.  Here are some ways I do that around my home:

1.  Soften what you can. 
      
*Put pads on  the bottom of chairs and other furniture that gets moved around.  This will cut down on the noise made when moving things and will also protect your floors.

  *If you have hard flooring, be sure to add curtains, area rugs, artwork, and soft furnishings to soften the echo sound that can occur in your home.

*If you have a choice, choose wood floors over laminate or tile because wood floors absorb sounds better.                                                                                                                             

*When washing dishes, a sink mat will help reduce the sound of clinking dishware.


"Sometimes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder; other times, it's in the ear!"  Carole Mayhall


2.  Fix or replace what you can

*Go around your house with a can of WD-40 or other lubricant and treat noisy hinges, drawer slides, and wheels. 

*When you have the need to replace an appliance be sure to consider the noise level of the item.  Kitchen dishwashers are notoriously noisy (we had one that sounded like an elephant) but many of the newer models are advertised as being quieter.  Exhaust fans can be replaced with a quieter model and are rated for noise level.  The lower the rate, the quieter the fan.

*If the sound of your doorbell makes you crazy then you can replace it.  Even better, do without it.  A good old door-knocker saves the day.

*Noisy floorboards might require a visit from a handyman but may save you some frustration.

*If you hear water trickling in your toilet that usually indicates a leak within the toilet.  Not only does this mean you're wasting water (and money) but it can be annoying.  Check the flapper to make sure it's closing properly and also check the arm of the handle to make sure it's not bent.  Both can cause small leaks.  These problems are very easy to fix (even I can do it).  Whenever you have to replace a toilet be sure to look for one that flushes quietly, especially for a powder room.  Nothing says "please leave now" than a guest room toilet that sounds like a freight train.  (not that I've had that experience or anything :)  )

*Place rubber pads under appliances and cutting boars to soften the sound and keep them from slipping.

*Replace batteries in your smoke detectors regularly to avoid annoying beeps in the middle of the night because of dying batteries.


"Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting with strife" Proverbs 17:1

3.  Prepare what you can:

*Choose to run appliances when most family members are not at home so that your family time won't be interrupted by noise.

*Turn off the television unless it's designated TV watching time.

*Be careful when you allow radio or music to be played.  Sometimes we're so used to noise that we don't take the time to enjoy the peace and quiet.

*Choose words carefully when talking to others.  The tone, volume, and speed of your words dictates the atmosphere of your home.  As a young mother, I learned that my children were more attentive to my words when I spoke them quietly and calmly.  They listened very carefully when I whispered in their little ears. 

"Let your conversations be always full of grace, seasoned with salt"
                                                                                      Colossians 4:6

So there you have it - some ideas for keeping the peace in your home.  Please share some ideas of how you keep the peace in your home. 

Comments

  1. I notice a lot more noise now that we have Hunter. If it is bothering me, I know it is bothering him. We do his before bed feeding in his room so that there is lots of quiet and he can hear me read to him. Thanks for the post :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep peace in my home by sending the boys outside! LOL Really though, it's amazing how much more peaceful it is when I choose not to have radio or tv on. I think it stunts the imagination because when it's on, my boys fight more and get into more stuff they shouldn't. It's crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Your Own Exercise Bike For Next To Nothing

Remember back in April when I had a kidney transplant?  Well, the kidney is doing great (thanks, Cathy , for taking such good care of it when you owned it).  There was one little glitch, however.  During surgery, the retractors they used caused some nerve damage in my right leg.  When I woke up from surgery, I couldn't move or feel my leg.  The docs felt like the feeling would come back but the paralysis had them stumped.  A visit to a neurologist ruled out a stroke and a CT scan showed some fluid which was pressing on L4 and L5 (medical talk which means I couldn't feel or move part of my leg).  The prognosis is good and I'm recovering pretty quickly.  In fact, I've left my cane behind and I'm walking freestyle without falling.  My next goal is to be able to drive. I've been itching to get back to exercising (physical therapy doesn't count) because my medication causes me to gain weight and I need to burn some calories.  Running? - nope.  Walking? - can&

A Designer's Secret For A Taller Bed

  Several years ago Hubs and I spent almost a year looking for a bedroom set that we both loved.  He wanted clean lines and dark wood.  I wanted curves and a "tall" bed.  Of course, there was no perfect bedroom set but we were able to compromise on a set that we both liked.  My main wish was for a bed that I could "climb up into".  The problem with that wish was that most of the "tall" beds were four poster beds and Hubs was not in the mood for that.  We found a Thomasville bed on display at a local furniture store and it fit the clean lines that Hubs wanted and it was "tall"  enough to suit me.  The problem was that once we received the bed we ordered in our home, it wasn't as tall as I had remembered it being.  My heart sunk!  I went back to the furniture store to look at the display.  Their bed was much taller than our bed.  Hmmm. . . what was different? I got nosey and lifted up the comforter on the bed.  It revealed their secret

Plans For A DIY Exercise Bike Stand

  Thank you to so many of you who emailed me about plans for the DIY Exercise Bike Stand .  I apologize that it has taken me so long to get the measurements to you, but they are finally here!   The wood was purchased at Home Depot and the bike pegs were purchased at Walmart in the bike section.    The bike we used for this project is a 24" 12 speed bike (I'm a shorty).  I used the hardest gear while riding, but this set-up does not allow you to really get much resistance (for building muscle).  It was great for getting my legs moving after some nerve damage.  I also wanted to burn calories and get my heart rate up and this did the trick.    If you have any questions, just shoot me an email.