Friday, August 13, 2010

What to do with all the tomatoes


Several months ago I was really worried.  I had tried starting heirloom tomatoes from seed and was underwhelmed by their progress.  Well, to tell the truth, I always have grander schemes in my mind that reality can never really live up to.  I'm weird like that.  Anywho. . . back to the tomatoes. . . they were puny.

Well, not any more.  This is what I picked this morning.


There's still a lot of not-quite-ripe ones waiting for another day or two until they join me in the kitchen.


I've got Amish Paste and  Beefsteak that I planted and then Roma and Cherry tomatoes that reseeded themselves from last year. 

With all of the Amish Paste and Beefsteak I made tomato sauce and canned it.  I didn't use any of the recipes I found because all of them included either onions, peppers, or garlic and spices.  I simply wanted pure tomato sauce so I diced the tomatoes and cooked them down for several hours, pureeing them several times with my immersion blender.  When the sauce was thick enough, I added one Tablespoon of lemon juice to each pint canning jar and added my sauce.  Then I processed the jars in a water bath for 35 minutes. 


As for the Roma and Cherry, I roasted them like before.


It took me all afternoon to do this, but the satisfaction I'm feeling is pretty good. 

5 comments:

  1. Gotta love those bakeware stones! I have the same one and use it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a productive day! Your tomatoes look delicious and will be a blessing throughout the next season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just froze a bunch of tomatoes today - froze them whole. I hope they work into a sauce okay, come winter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time commenting... But I love your blog and those tomatoes YUM... also love your posts on home decor :) come on over won't you!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.