You see, a few years ago I did a staging job for a client. She had a lot of half-finished pieces of furniture scattered around her house and it was my job to help hide the less desirable pieces. She was ready to get rid of several of the items because she was tired of looking at unfinished projects and ready to get her house sold and have a fresh new start. I asked her if I could buy this piece but she insisted that I take it and refinish it.
I have a few pieces of furniture from this era and I knew it would match what I already had. I brought it home and promptly forgot about it. It's been sitting with my staging inventory, neglected and forlorn. The drawers were really stuck and the finish was half off.
After pulling and tugging (and sweating) to remove the drawers, I was able to repair and sand them down to fit again. I used Formby's Refinisher to take the remaining finish off, sanded and tacked it, applied 2 coats of stain, and then 2 coats of a rub-on finish. I think she turned out pretty well - and she's a perfect fit!
*Please ignore the stack of books on top - it always looks like that even though I have perfectly functioning drawers in which to put them.
I'll be showing you how I put a new finish on the hardware in Friday's post.