Friday, March 30, 2012

Spring Party Favors

Several readers have emailed me asking me what I used to make the party favors for my church's women's  event. 


Here is my work table ready to assemble the little pots.  I like to set everything out and precut anything ahead of time so I can move quickly - assembly line like.


I bought peat pots at Big Lots - 10 pots for $1.00.  I already had a roll of green paper raffia from another project.  I think I bought it at Michaels. 


I also picked up a bag of excelsior from Michaels with my 40% off coupon.  For 80 party favors I used 1 1/2 bags. 


So that I didn't have to use a lot of the excelsior, I recycled some of the shredding from my paper shredder in the bottom of the pots.




I tied a strip of the paper raffia around each pot and filled it half full of shredded paper. 



I printed out little paper tags onto card stock.  I just used the column setting in Word, getting 8 tags on each sheet of 8 1/2 x11.  I stamped the little bird design with a rubber stamp I had.  I cut down the tags and rounded the corners with a corner punch.  I also collected little twigs from my backyard.  I love that they have small acorns on them.



I topped the shredded paper with a small bit of the excelsior, stuck a tag and a twig in, and then added the speckled egg candy when setting the table.  The tag can be used as a book mark and the peat pot can be used to start seeds in. 



So there you have it - little party favors that don't cost a lot but add a special touch.


I'm linking to:
shabby creek cottage

1 comment:

  1. That is so beautiful! Using shredded paper to create such pieces is simply awesome! But yeah, sometimes, it’s just a matter of having a wild and creative imagination.

    Ruby Badcoe

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.