Skip to main content

Hiking Old Rag Mountain: A Milestone of Recovery

Almost 14 months ago, I had a kidney transplant that changed my life.  The new kidney, donated by my friend Cathy, started working before the doctors had a chance to close me back up. 

During the surgery, however, some nerve damage occurred and I was not able to feel or move my right leg from my ankle to my hip.  I had to walk with a cane and fell several times a day - not a good combination while recovering from abdominal surgery.

While working through physical therapy and learning to live with the medication that is a permanent part of my life (immuno-suppressants to help my body not reject my new kidney) I set a goal of climbing my favorite mountain - Old Rag Mountain.  This challenging route is part hike, part rock scramble, and part brain challenge. 

  After finishing physical therapy, I continued to exercise to strengthen my muscles.  Over the past 6 months, I have continued to gain some feeling in my leg.  Now there is only a 6 inch area in the front of my thigh were I have no feeling.  I decided that if I had to choose between feeling and function; I'd choose function.  I've also been working on upper arm strength as well as limited  abdominal  exercises (I don't have much feeling in my right abdomen (where my new kidney sits). 

tidybrownwren.blogspot.com

The first part of the hike is a challenging series of switchbacks.  It took us about 1 1/2 hours to do that part.  The view from the first outlook was beautiful - lots of farmland and amazing clouds.

tidybrownwren.blogspot.com


The second part of the hike is the rock scramble and this blaze (blue paint used to mark the trail) made me laugh. 

tidybrownwren.blogspot.com


Yes, this trail led us down into a crevasse.  Being only 5 feet tall, I was at a disadvantage.  I could not simply stretch down have my feet touch solid rock.  I had to maneuver, using legs and arms between the rocks to scoot down. 

tidybrownwren.blogspot.com

I loved how some of the trees along the way were worn and smooth from years of hiker's hands grabbing onto them.

tidybrownwren.blogspot.com
(I plan to do a future post about my medic alert bracelet - I don't leave home without it)


Some of the rock out-crops were just amazing.


tidybrownwren.blogspot.com

There are no rules about the climbing technique needing to be pretty.  You just have to get up the mountain anyway you can.  This particular area required me to pull myself up with mostly arm strength and then swing my body around quickly so I didn't slide back down. 

tidybrownwren.blogspot.com


I couldn't have completed the hike without this dear man (who is camera shy).  Hubs had to pull me up and over several areas and give me lots of encouraging words to keep me going.


tidybrownwren.blogspot.com


After another 1 1/2 hours of rock scrambling, we reached the top.  The top was enclosed within a cloud, so the view wasn't that great - but the hike wasn't really about the view, was it!  We didn't stay long because it was very cold and windy. 



tidybrownwren.blogspot.com



As we got ready to leave the top and head back down, we were able to get a good shot of the valley below when the clouds cleared out for a minute.  Just beautiful.

tidybrownwren.blogspot.com


***For those of you who know me in real life but haven't seen me in awhile:  Yes, my hair is curly!  I lost about 1/3 of my hair after my surgery and when it grew back in, it was curly.  My hairdresser is doing a great job of helping me to grow it out so everything is even.  I'm hoping that letting my hair grow will help to make my face look thinner.  The Prednisone I take has an unpleasant side-effect called "moon face" which adds extra weight onto my face.  It's not a terrible side-effect, but I'm always shocked when I look in the mirror.  I'm always wondering who that woman in the mirror is!


Comments

  1. Wow - Old Rag! That is some hike Kelly. I remember the time I hiked that with you, Skip and the kids. I'm just thrilled you are doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration! Thank you for sharing. I am humbled by your spirit and grateful you have a dear hubs in your life. You give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! I'm so glad to hear that you're doing so great and congrats on reaching an amazing goal! Those views are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Your Own Exercise Bike For Next To Nothing

Remember back in April when I had a kidney transplant?  Well, the kidney is doing great (thanks, Cathy , for taking such good care of it when you owned it).  There was one little glitch, however.  During surgery, the retractors they used caused some nerve damage in my right leg.  When I woke up from surgery, I couldn't move or feel my leg.  The docs felt like the feeling would come back but the paralysis had them stumped.  A visit to a neurologist ruled out a stroke and a CT scan showed some fluid which was pressing on L4 and L5 (medical talk which means I couldn't feel or move part of my leg).  The prognosis is good and I'm recovering pretty quickly.  In fact, I've left my cane behind and I'm walking freestyle without falling.  My next goal is to be able to drive. I've been itching to get back to exercising (physical therapy doesn't count) because my medication causes me to gain weight and I need to burn some calories.  Running? - nope.  Walking? - can&

A Designer's Secret For A Taller Bed

  Several years ago Hubs and I spent almost a year looking for a bedroom set that we both loved.  He wanted clean lines and dark wood.  I wanted curves and a "tall" bed.  Of course, there was no perfect bedroom set but we were able to compromise on a set that we both liked.  My main wish was for a bed that I could "climb up into".  The problem with that wish was that most of the "tall" beds were four poster beds and Hubs was not in the mood for that.  We found a Thomasville bed on display at a local furniture store and it fit the clean lines that Hubs wanted and it was "tall"  enough to suit me.  The problem was that once we received the bed we ordered in our home, it wasn't as tall as I had remembered it being.  My heart sunk!  I went back to the furniture store to look at the display.  Their bed was much taller than our bed.  Hmmm. . . what was different? I got nosey and lifted up the comforter on the bed.  It revealed their secret

Plans For A DIY Exercise Bike Stand

  Thank you to so many of you who emailed me about plans for the DIY Exercise Bike Stand .  I apologize that it has taken me so long to get the measurements to you, but they are finally here!   The wood was purchased at Home Depot and the bike pegs were purchased at Walmart in the bike section.    The bike we used for this project is a 24" 12 speed bike (I'm a shorty).  I used the hardest gear while riding, but this set-up does not allow you to really get much resistance (for building muscle).  It was great for getting my legs moving after some nerve damage.  I also wanted to burn calories and get my heart rate up and this did the trick.    If you have any questions, just shoot me an email.