Skip to main content

Summer Garden Pizza


I don't know about you, but sometimes it feels just too hot to eat a heavy meal. 

Our family welcomes a lighter fare on the dinner table during the dog days of Summer.

Here's one our favorites - Summer Garden Pizza


Here's what I started out with: 

          -homemade pizza dough (see recipe below)
          -garden tomatoes
          -garden peppers (purple and red)
          -garden onions
          - fresh basil
          -dried herbs (from last year's garden)
          -freshly grated mozzarella cheese


Roll the dough out onto a cookie sheet that has been greased and dusted with cornmeal.  Top with sliced tomatoes, basil, sliced onions, and sliced peppers. You can use whatever fresh veggies you have available.  Sprinkle with garlic powder and dried herbs of your choice (I used parsley, sage, rosemary, and oregano).



Sprinkle everything with grated cheese and bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese is bubbly.


Recipe for Pizza Dough:

1 Tbl. yeast
1 cup warm water (@115 degrees)
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbl. coconut oil
1 1/2 cups wheat flour
1 cup white flour

Mix yeast, water, and honey in a large bowl.  Let sit for a few minutes until it is foamy.
Add remaining ingredients.  Mix well and knead dough about 10 times until it is smooth.
Let rise in bowl for 1/2 hour. 
Grease large cookie sheet (round or rectangular) with coconut oil and dust with cornmeal.
Plop dough into the center of the cookie sheet and roll it out to the edges of the pan.  You'll probably have to roll it several times because it will want to shrink a bit. 

Top with your favorite toppings and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.  Enjoy!!

Comments

  1. Yum! I'll have to try this...when I am willing to have my oven on LOL

    I also wanted to tell you how absolutely amazing that tea trick you posted is - and so EASY! I haven't run out of tea to drink since you posted it! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds awesome - however yeast just won't cooperate with me! How do you determine when water is 115 degrees? I can never get it to foam up. Are there any tips or tricks I'm missing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use an instant-read thermometer to measure the temp. of the water. I think I got it from Pampered Chef but they have them at Target too. The yeast doesn't have to foam up too much. But it should have a few little bubbles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful! Can't wait to try it! Love food from the garden.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Your Own Exercise Bike For Next To Nothing

Remember back in April when I had a kidney transplant?  Well, the kidney is doing great (thanks, Cathy , for taking such good care of it when you owned it).  There was one little glitch, however.  During surgery, the retractors they used caused some nerve damage in my right leg.  When I woke up from surgery, I couldn't move or feel my leg.  The docs felt like the feeling would come back but the paralysis had them stumped.  A visit to a neurologist ruled out a stroke and a CT scan showed some fluid which was pressing on L4 and L5 (medical talk which means I couldn't feel or move part of my leg).  The prognosis is good and I'm recovering pretty quickly.  In fact, I've left my cane behind and I'm walking freestyle without falling.  My next goal is to be able to drive. I've been itching to get back to exercising (physical therapy doesn't count) because my medication causes me to gain weight and I need to burn some calories.  Running? - nope.  Walking? - can&

A Designer's Secret For A Taller Bed

  Several years ago Hubs and I spent almost a year looking for a bedroom set that we both loved.  He wanted clean lines and dark wood.  I wanted curves and a "tall" bed.  Of course, there was no perfect bedroom set but we were able to compromise on a set that we both liked.  My main wish was for a bed that I could "climb up into".  The problem with that wish was that most of the "tall" beds were four poster beds and Hubs was not in the mood for that.  We found a Thomasville bed on display at a local furniture store and it fit the clean lines that Hubs wanted and it was "tall"  enough to suit me.  The problem was that once we received the bed we ordered in our home, it wasn't as tall as I had remembered it being.  My heart sunk!  I went back to the furniture store to look at the display.  Their bed was much taller than our bed.  Hmmm. . . what was different? I got nosey and lifted up the comforter on the bed.  It revealed their secret

Plans For A DIY Exercise Bike Stand

  Thank you to so many of you who emailed me about plans for the DIY Exercise Bike Stand .  I apologize that it has taken me so long to get the measurements to you, but they are finally here!   The wood was purchased at Home Depot and the bike pegs were purchased at Walmart in the bike section.    The bike we used for this project is a 24" 12 speed bike (I'm a shorty).  I used the hardest gear while riding, but this set-up does not allow you to really get much resistance (for building muscle).  It was great for getting my legs moving after some nerve damage.  I also wanted to burn calories and get my heart rate up and this did the trick.    If you have any questions, just shoot me an email.