Skip to main content

Monday Motivation: Organizing The Laundry Room

November is here and that means time to organize the laundry area.  I've collected all of the laundry organizing posts from last year and combined them here to get you motivated. 

 

Putting Your Thoughts Together About Laundry Room Organizing



I've chosen November as the month to cover the topic of organizing the laundry room.

source




So, this week is all about deciding what you'll use your laundry room for. Here are some questions you'll want to ask yourself:

1. How many people use this room?
2. What types of laundry are handled in this room? (whites, lights, darks, linens, delicates, dry cleaning, diapers)
3. Do you hand wash any laundry?
4. Do you hang laundry up to dry?
5. How many loads do you do in a week?
6. What types of laundry products do you need to store?
7. Do you need space to hold dirty laundry until it is washed?
8. Where is clean laundry folded?
9. Where is ironing done?
10. Where is mending done?
11. Does this room need to function for your pets?
12. Do you use this room as a mud room?
13. What other items need to be stored in this room? (sports equipment, school supplies, pet supplies, craft supplies, home cleaning equipment, food storage, outerwear and shoes/boots)

While you are taking a good look at the room, you should also look at what kind of shape your room is in. Does it need to be painted? Does it need new flooring or extra storage? Do you have items that are piled up or sitting in boxes? That is a sign that you need more storage (or proper storage).

Ready to get started? Don't forget to take some "before" pictures so you can look back and see what an improvement you've made when you're finished
 
 

Purging and Organizing The Laundry Room



Last April, I posted about my laundry room mini redo here and here. The redo held up well and the laundry room has been easy to work in. I've rearranged my cabinets a few times - once in canning season to accommodate all of my canning paraphernalia and once during the holidays to accommodate my extra holiday supplies. Supplies that aren't needed are moved to the "party pantry" temporarily.

Here's what my laundry room looked like before:


And then after:





Before:




And after:


There are two views because there are two doors in the tiny room (I know, what was the builder thinking!) One door is from the hallway and one is from the kitchen. The best part is that it is very convenient to the kitchen.

If you are planning to clear out your laundry room and organize it, here are some ideas to get you headed in the right direction:

1. Remove any clean laundry sitting around. If it is ready to be put away, then do that. If it is clean laundry that needs another step (like mending or ironing), then place it out of the way so it doesn't get dirty during the purge.

2. Set up a staging area near laundry room. Because laundry rooms (or closets) are usually very small, it's best to remove items from the area while you're working on it. You can use a table or even the floor. Set up:
a. 1 solid colored bag to contain trash
b. 1 box or bag for items to be donated to a charity or sold at a yard sale
c. 1 box or bag for items that need to be given to someone
d. 1 box or bag for items that need to be moved to another room of the house (for instance - the hammer that needs to go to the garage)
e. make an area for each category of items you'll need in the room (cleaning supplies, pet supplies, tools, food, picnic supplies etc.)

3. Starting at the door, go around the room picking up one or two items at a time. Place each item in the proper category and/or bag. Remember that items you have not used in a year should seriously be considered donate-giveaway-throw away. Every extra item that stays in that room is a potential speed bump in your laundry race.

Let me say that again - Every extra item that stays in your laundry room is a potential speed bump in your laundry race.

4. Now is the time to fix or update any areas that need work. Paint? New lighting? Shelves or cabinets? If everything is staying the same, then give everything a good cleaning. Move out the appliances and clean behind them and under them too.

5. Go back to your staging area. Working with one category at a time, put the items away as close to where you'll use them as possible. (Example: laundry detergent near the washer, dog leash near the door) Place frequently used items on shelves within your reach and infrequently used items up high or down low. Heavy items should be stored on lower shelves for safety.

6. If possible, try not to store anything on the floor to make it easier to clean.

7. After every item is in place, turn to your bags and boxes of items that are not returning to the room. Place the garbage in the outdoor can or dumpster. Trust me - you don't need your family going through it!

8. Place the donation bag in the back of your vehicle to drop off this week. If having a yard sale, place bag of items with other yard sale items (since we've been going through the whole house this year, I bet you have a hum -dinger of a yard sale pile by now).

9. Go though the "belongs somewhere else" box/bag and return items to their proper place. Do not leave in the box/bag to put away later. I know from experience that the "temporary" spot will become permanent. I'm just sayin' - do it now!

So, are you game? Email me if you run into any problems and I'll talk you through it. Now, I've got to get to my ironing pile. It's nearly as tall as I am.

 

Laundry Room Storage Solutions

I had a great time collecting ideas about laundry room storage to share with you. There are a lot of creative people out there and their projects are amazing.

This first photo is one I have a paper copy of, stored in my file cabinet. I have always loved the creative way this homeowner disguised their washer and dryer in their kitchen. I think this came from Southern Living many years ago. When the cabinets are closed, the counter can be used as a buffet. When doing laundry, the homeowner can use the surface to fold laundry. Brilliant!

This next photo is evidently one of my favorites because I pinned it several times on Pinterest before I realized I had duplicates. It looks like this laundry area is in a bathroom - maybe in a basement. I love the baskets and the pull-out counter top. Notice that the whole laundry area can be concealed with a Roman shade.
Martha Stewart


Jennifer gives the details about how she made over her laundry room. Check out the link below the photos to visit her blog and get the juicy details.

Jennifer's laundry room makeover at Blissfullyever-after.blogspot.com


This laundry room has plenty of storage and the great sink is a nice bonus (although I would choose a deep sink). I like the shelf over the hanging rod as well as the enclosed cabinets. Very clean and fresh looking.


Laundry room modern laundry room


I love the colors that Nicole chose when redoing her laundry room. Her room is the perfect blend of cheerful and functional. Check out Nicole at makingitlovely.com. You have to go to her blog to see her pics.



If you have the room, a large counter top island for folding laundry would be great. If I had the room, I'd do this and extend the counter top so bar stools could float around and the area could be used for crafts and projects.

Add a Storage and Organizing Island

Southern Living

Who doesn't need a space to store cleaning supplies? Here's a great closet that holds everything. Wow!





So, what are your favorite storage solutions in your laundry room? Any tricks you need to share?



Organizing Your Laundry Chores


 
I'm so glad I don't have to use this old washing machine for what it was originally made for. I much prefer to plant flowers in it and set it on my back porch.



It's one of those chores that you either love or hate - doing the laundry. Dirty laundry can quickly take over your home and cause you great consternation every morning when you try to get your family dressed for the day.

Every family will have different laundry needs and it's important to develop a schedule and routine that works for you instead of following what someone else does. For some families it works better to finish all of the laundry in 1 or 2 days. For others, it works better to run a load every day or every other day. As your family grows, shrinks, and changes, you'll find that you will need to reevaluate your routine and adapt as necessary.

Right now, as empty nesters, we (and when I say we - I mean me) wash 3 loads a week. I don't use chlorine bleach, so I like to soak my lights/whites with detergent and an oxygen bleach overnight and then run the load in the morning. I also do a load of darks and one of linens later in the week.

When my kids were little, I ran a load of clothes every day. I found that if I did too many loads in one day, I became overwhelmed with the folding and putting away later in the day.

You've heard of the adage "Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)"? Well, that's particularly true of laundry. Whatever you can do to keep the process simple will keep you from getting frustrated. Here are some ideas that might help:
1. Keep laundry baskets near where clothes are removed. Also, rethink whether you want to have a cover on the basket - that's one more barrier between you and putting the clothing where it belongs.
2. Treat stains as soon as you know about them. This will save you from accidentally washing and drying the untreated stains and thus setting them, ruining the clothing.
3. Keep extra laundry supplies on hand so you never run out. Stock up on detergent and other items when they are on sale, or make your own in large batches.
4. Have a place handy for mending and dry cleaning to be kept until you can process it. Otherwise, it will get forgotten about or accidentally tossed into the wash with the other laundry.
5. Keep a small basket for unmatched socks, found money, and other items you come across on laundry days. Once a month, clean out the basket. Use the extra socks for dusting rags and toss the money into your change purse. Any other items can be put away or thrown out.
6. Reconsider how often you wear your clothing. Years ago, people wore the same clothes all week - that's why every woman had an apron to wear over her dress to keep it as clean as possible. Nowadays, we change clothes several times a day - hmmm. . . makes me wonder!
7. Think about how many clothes you actually own. Many of us own so many clothes that we don't have storage space for them. That's why they are piled on top of dressers and stacked in the bottom of closets. If you dread putting clothes away, or you don't even bother to put them away anymore - could it be that you simply have too many clothes? If so, go through your closets and dressers and purge them of unnecessary items.
8. Make sure your laundry area has everything you need to do the laundry quickly and without unnecessary effort:

a. proper lighting
b. storage for supplies
c. a place for folding laundry
d. a wastebasket
e. a line or rack to dry laundry
f. basket for unmatched socks and found money
g. a place to hang your ironing board, iron, and hangers
h. a rug or padded mat to stand on for comfort

If you're finding that you dread going into your laundry area because it's just too dreadfully drab, then now is the time to brighten it up. Here are some ideas from Pinterest to get you started:

A patterened ironing board cover makes the board look like a piece of art.



Practical storage and an adorable rug make this laundry room bright and cheery as well as functional.
 
Why not hang a chandy in the laundry room - after all, you are the queen of the house.

Well, I hope you've been inspired to change up your laundry routine to make it work better for you and your family. Be sure to share your ideas in the comment section or shoot me an email. I'd love to see some pics as well, if you're willing to share.

If you're wondering if line drying your clothes is beneficial, then check out this website that touts the positives of drying your clothes that way. For a little chuckle, scroll down the page to see the picture about "global warming". Cute!
 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Your Own Exercise Bike For Next To Nothing

Remember back in April when I had a kidney transplant?  Well, the kidney is doing great (thanks, Cathy , for taking such good care of it when you owned it).  There was one little glitch, however.  During surgery, the retractors they used caused some nerve damage in my right leg.  When I woke up from surgery, I couldn't move or feel my leg.  The docs felt like the feeling would come back but the paralysis had them stumped.  A visit to a neurologist ruled out a stroke and a CT scan showed some fluid which was pressing on L4 and L5 (medical talk which means I couldn't feel or move part of my leg).  The prognosis is good and I'm recovering pretty quickly.  In fact, I've left my cane behind and I'm walking freestyle without falling.  My next goal is to be able to drive. I've been itching to get back to exercising (physical therapy doesn't count) because my medication causes me to gain weight and I need to burn some calories.  Running? - nope.  Walking? - can&

A Designer's Secret For A Taller Bed

  Several years ago Hubs and I spent almost a year looking for a bedroom set that we both loved.  He wanted clean lines and dark wood.  I wanted curves and a "tall" bed.  Of course, there was no perfect bedroom set but we were able to compromise on a set that we both liked.  My main wish was for a bed that I could "climb up into".  The problem with that wish was that most of the "tall" beds were four poster beds and Hubs was not in the mood for that.  We found a Thomasville bed on display at a local furniture store and it fit the clean lines that Hubs wanted and it was "tall"  enough to suit me.  The problem was that once we received the bed we ordered in our home, it wasn't as tall as I had remembered it being.  My heart sunk!  I went back to the furniture store to look at the display.  Their bed was much taller than our bed.  Hmmm. . . what was different? I got nosey and lifted up the comforter on the bed.  It revealed their secret

Plans For A DIY Exercise Bike Stand

  Thank you to so many of you who emailed me about plans for the DIY Exercise Bike Stand .  I apologize that it has taken me so long to get the measurements to you, but they are finally here!   The wood was purchased at Home Depot and the bike pegs were purchased at Walmart in the bike section.    The bike we used for this project is a 24" 12 speed bike (I'm a shorty).  I used the hardest gear while riding, but this set-up does not allow you to really get much resistance (for building muscle).  It was great for getting my legs moving after some nerve damage.  I also wanted to burn calories and get my heart rate up and this did the trick.    If you have any questions, just shoot me an email.