Skip to main content

Planning An Outdoor Wedding: The Menu

This is the 9th post in my Wedding Series.

Previous posts include:



Food, glorious food. 

Can't have a wedding reception without it. 

Careful thought went into the menu for this outdoor wedding.  We asked some friends of ours to head up the whole food situation in exchange for a favor we did for them - you know. . . good ol' bartering.  I definitely think we got the better half of the deal - but don't tell them that.  Along with this couple, we had a number of other friends who gave up their Saturday (and Friday night) to make this day special for our kids.  They were so efficient and professional that many guests asked who our catering company was - I'm serious. . . they were that good!

We put our heads together and created  a menu that my little kitchen would be able to handle, that the guests would enjoy, and that would represent the different cultures that were being joined with the marriage of two lovely young people.

Here's what we came up with:

After the ceremony, while pictures were being taken, the guests gathered around a table filled with fruit, cheese and crackers, hummus, and yummy Italian bread sticks.

After the first dance and the blessing, we dug into:

Kielbasa-kabobs (to represent the German side of the family)
Shrimp with cocktail sauce (because what's a reception without shrimp?)
Croissant sandwiches with Black Forest Ham ( again, German)
Filipino meatloaf (to represent the Filipino side of the family)
Filipino Empanadas (provided by the groom's mother)
Veggie tray with dip
Caprese kabobs (no, we're not Italian, but we love us some Caprese salad)
Lumpia (double yum- a wedding gift to the couple that we all got to enjoy)
Pansit (provided by the groom's mother)

To finish up:
Wedding cake (spice cake with creamy frosting)
Pies of all sorts (lovingly prepared by family and friends)

For beverages we had:
Sweet Tea (hello - we live in the South)
Apple Cider Punch (equal parts apple cider and ginger ale)
Coffee ( regular and decaf)
Ice water


Here's what my little kitchen usually looks like:







Here's what it looked like the day of the wedding - minus 3 other people who were putting out food.  Notice we added an extra table in the kitchen and we also had the dining room table and a table on the back porch as a staging area for dishes, food, and serving pieces.



Here is the drink station.  The large bin in the left side of the photo was our ice bucket.  A super large cooler full of ice was hiding behind the table, ready to stock the ice bucket.  Notice the table to the far right.  It's holding white coffee mugs we collected for months from thrift stores.  Many of the cups match my daughter's dishes (Pfaltzgraff's Heritage pattern) so she has plenty of cups to entertain with.  I would have loved to have used all white, thrifted dishes, but our guest list simply got too big to do that. 



This is obviously the plate of a growing young man - humm - maybe my 19 year old son.  So, you can see, there was plenty of food to go around.  We also sent some home with our friends and we've been eating the remainder for days now.  I even have some in the freezer.  Like my friend Chris, says "better to have too much than not enough".


Here's a view from above (thanks Sylvia for the great pics - I'm so glad you thought to photograph everything!)

I'd say a grand time was had by all.  Anyone care for a leftover kielbasa kabob?

Comments

  1. It sounds good, it looks good - I can't believe it came together so well! We had some friends do ours and well, it didn't turn out as well as yours did LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! We really did a number on your kitchen! I hope it was reassembled before my hubby left!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Your Own Exercise Bike For Next To Nothing

Remember back in April when I had a kidney transplant?  Well, the kidney is doing great (thanks, Cathy , for taking such good care of it when you owned it).  There was one little glitch, however.  During surgery, the retractors they used caused some nerve damage in my right leg.  When I woke up from surgery, I couldn't move or feel my leg.  The docs felt like the feeling would come back but the paralysis had them stumped.  A visit to a neurologist ruled out a stroke and a CT scan showed some fluid which was pressing on L4 and L5 (medical talk which means I couldn't feel or move part of my leg).  The prognosis is good and I'm recovering pretty quickly.  In fact, I've left my cane behind and I'm walking freestyle without falling.  My next goal is to be able to drive. I've been itching to get back to exercising (physical therapy doesn't count) because my medication causes me to gain weight and I need to burn some calories.  Running? - nope.  Walking? - can&

A Designer's Secret For A Taller Bed

  Several years ago Hubs and I spent almost a year looking for a bedroom set that we both loved.  He wanted clean lines and dark wood.  I wanted curves and a "tall" bed.  Of course, there was no perfect bedroom set but we were able to compromise on a set that we both liked.  My main wish was for a bed that I could "climb up into".  The problem with that wish was that most of the "tall" beds were four poster beds and Hubs was not in the mood for that.  We found a Thomasville bed on display at a local furniture store and it fit the clean lines that Hubs wanted and it was "tall"  enough to suit me.  The problem was that once we received the bed we ordered in our home, it wasn't as tall as I had remembered it being.  My heart sunk!  I went back to the furniture store to look at the display.  Their bed was much taller than our bed.  Hmmm. . . what was different? I got nosey and lifted up the comforter on the bed.  It revealed their secret

Plans For A DIY Exercise Bike Stand

  Thank you to so many of you who emailed me about plans for the DIY Exercise Bike Stand .  I apologize that it has taken me so long to get the measurements to you, but they are finally here!   The wood was purchased at Home Depot and the bike pegs were purchased at Walmart in the bike section.    The bike we used for this project is a 24" 12 speed bike (I'm a shorty).  I used the hardest gear while riding, but this set-up does not allow you to really get much resistance (for building muscle).  It was great for getting my legs moving after some nerve damage.  I also wanted to burn calories and get my heart rate up and this did the trick.    If you have any questions, just shoot me an email.